Our research currently revolves around the following topics:
- Argumentation Mining is the automatic search for arguments in text, and the automatic derivation of the argument's structure.
- Coreference Resolution seeks to determine which nominals in a text refer to the same entity. This includes figuring out what pronouns ("she" etc.) refer to.
- Corpora and Annotation Technology comprises tools for producing annotations to text manually, and those for executing queries on such annotated corpora.
- Discourse Structure and Discourse Parsing is the theoretical investigation of what makes a text "coherent", and the automatic analysis of such structures.
- Sentiment Analysis looks for opinions in text and tries to compute their structure: WHO has WHICH opinion on WHAT.
- Social Media processing deals with the peculiarities of automatically handling text from Twitter and other social media.
Yulia Grishina examines methods for multilingual anaphora and coreference resolution and aims at automatic projection of coreference information across parallel corpora.
Wladimir Sidorenko develops an approach to extracting opinions and other subjective information from social media messages, so that the linguistic interaction between participants in social networks can be studied.
Andreas Peldszus: Automatic recognition of argumentation structure in short monological text. 2017. Degree in (Computational) Linguistics.
Anastasia Linnik: Coherence and structure in aphasic and non-aphasic discourse. 2017. Degree in Linguistics.
Oliver Gros: Computergestützte Wissensextraktion aus Befundtexten der Pathologie. 2014. Degree in Computer Science.
Julia Ritz: Discourse-givenness of noun phrases: Theoretical and computational models. 2013. Degree in (Computational) Linguistics.
Jörn Kreutel: Modellbasierte Entwicklung von Voice User Interfaces. 2010. Degree in Computer Science.
Christian Chiarcos: Mental salience and grammatical form. 2010. Degree in (Computational) Linguistics.
Christiane Hümmer: Synonyme bei phraseologischen Einheiten - eine korpusbasierte Untersuchung. 2007. Degree in (Computational) Linguistics.